The Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 will be held on February 28, 2023, to elect the mayor of Chicago, Illinois. If no candidate receives a majority of votes, a runoff election will be done on April 4, 2023. Chicago is the third most populous city in the United States of America. Chicago is a famous city, port, commercial, industrial and cultural center. Today we will talk about Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 – Candidates, Voting Guide, Results in this page.
The filing deadline for Mayor election was November 28, 2022. Incumbent Lori Lightfoot, Jesus Garcia, Brandon Johnson, and Paul Vallas have performed the best in polling and received the most attention and other candidates are Kambium Buckner, Ja’Mal Green, Sophia King, Roderick Sawyer, and Willie Wilson.
Chicago Mayoral Election 2023
9 candidates are running for mayor of Chicago, Illinois in the February 28, 2023, general election and if no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote, a runoff election will take place on April 4, 2023.Chicago is a city with a huge population and is located south of Lake Michigan in the United States. It is the largest railway junction in the world. About thirty railroads meet here and it is located on Lake Michigan, it is also a port. Chicago is the largest meat market in the world. It is called the ‘slaughterhouse’ of the world.
Here the fattened animals fed with maize are cut and their meat is packed in cartons and exported. Here there are industries of agricultural machinery, flour grinding, paper, pulp, steel, motor vehicle equipment, aircraft parts, clothing, and ship manufacturing. There is an oil refinery in southern Chicago. The Chicago metropolitan area is also known colloquially as ‘Chicagoland’. Chicago is also known as the commercial and cultural capital of America.
Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 Candidates
- Kam Buckner– He is a lawyer who has also worked in politics and sports, he represents parts of Bronzeville, The Loop, and Hyde Park in the Illinois House of Representatives. He grew up on the South Side, according to his campaign website, and attended Morgan Park High School. Then received his undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois, where Kam Buckner played football.
- Jesús “Chuy” García– He is a congressman representing the Illinois 4th district in Washington, D.C., and is a long-time political veteran who ran for mayor in 2015 and lost in a runoff to Rahm Emanuel. Before his 2015 mayoral campaign, he had served on the City Council, the Illinois state senate, and the Cook County Board of Commissioners
- Ja’Mal Green– He is a community activist on the South Side, and is one of two candidates in the field to have never held political office. At 27, he is the youngest candidate in the field. Ja’Mal Green ran for mayor in 2019 but dropped out after not gaining enough ballot petition signatures
- Brandon Johnson– He is a former school teacher who serves on the Cook County Board of Commissioners representing areas of the West Side and suburbs, he has nabbed endorsements from powerful, progressive unions, including the CTU. He also worked as an organizer for the CTU and was involved in the 2019 teacher’s strike.
- Sophia King– An alderperson representing the 4th Ward, King serves as the chair of the Progressive Caucus on the City Council.
- Lori Lightfoot– She is a former prosecutor and private practice attorney. She also had an outsider’s campaign in 2019 focused on rooting out corruption in City Hall.
- Roderick Sawyer– He is the son of former Mayor Eugene Sawyer and he is a licensed stock and real estate broker who serves as an alderman for the 6th Ward, representing parts of Chatham, Englewood, and Grand Crossing
- Paul Vallas- He is a former CPS CEO, Vallas has spent most of his career working in education, although Paul Vallas has centered on public safety and crime reduction in his current mayoral campaign.
- Willie Wilson– He is a wealthy Chicago businessman and philanthropist who owns McDonald’s franchises, as well as a medical supply company, Willie Wilson has long been a fixture in local and national political races
February 28 – Chicago Municipal General Election- Voting Guide
Voters will cast ballots for citywide offices in this election, voting on:
- Mayor of Chicago
- City Clerk
- City treasurer
- Candidates for newly created police district councils: 3 per district in 22 districts
Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 Results
As we know that Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 will hold on February 28 and we will also update you about the Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 Results. So please check this page to know more about the Chicago Mayoral Election 2023 Results as we are refreshing this page as per the real-time update.