The 16th season of the Indian Premier League kicked off on 31 March 2023 with defending champions Gujarat Titans and four-time IPL champions Chennai Super Kings clashing at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. This is the second season of IPL with 10 teams. So far 17 matches have been played in IPL, out of which only two teams have won three matches each. Lucknow Super Giants had won three matches before Rajasthan Royals.
After a long wait of 15 years, Rajasthan Royals defeated Chennai Super Kings at their home ground Chepauk Stadium. On the basis of their spinners, Rajasthan defeated Chennai and registered their third win in this season. This match turns the IPL Points Table 2023 so check this page to know more about it.
IPL Points Table 2023
12 April 2023 Wednesday evening in Chennai was like an anti-climax for CSK, MS Dhoni and his fans. This was Dhoni’s 200th match as the captain of Chennai. The ground was also his home, where in the last more than 20 matches, no one other than Mumbai Indians could defeat his team. Then on the last ball of the last over, Dhoni had a chance to win the match by hitting a six, but Sandeep Sharma’s excellent Yorker snatched this opportunity from him.
Rajasthan Royals is at number 1 in IPL 2023 Points Table
After 15 long years, this 3-run win against Chennai took Rajasthan Royals to the top of the points table. Rajasthan is only the second team after Lucknow Super Giants, who have won three matches. Rajasthan and Lucknow have equal 6-6 points from 4-4 matches. Based on the difference in net run rate, Rajasthan (1.588) snatched the first position from Lucknow (1.048).
The NRR of the team captained by Sanju Samson is the best among all 10 teams. At the same time, CSK (0.225) also had a chance to reach the top of the table or number two, but at the moment this chance has slipped out of their hands. Dhoni’s team has only 4 points from 2 wins and 2 losses in 4 matches and is in fifth place.
Indian Premier League 2023 Points Table
In the 17th match of IPL 2023, Rajasthan Royals defeated Chennai Super Kings by 3 runs. In this match, Rajasthan had given a target of 176 runs to Chennai. Chennai could not score 5 runs in the last ball to win this target while Dhoni was in the ground. After this match, now this is the updated IPL 2023 Points Table.
|2||Lucknow Super Giants||4||3||1||0||0||6||1.048|
|3||Kolkata Knight Riders||3||2||1||0||0||4||1.375|
|5||Chennai Super Kings||4||2||2||0||0||4||0.225|
|7||Royal Challengers Bangalore||3||1||2||0||0||2||-0.800|
IPL Points Table 2023 Rules
The winning team in the league round matches of IPL gets 2 points in the match. No points are scored for the losing team. If the match does not result due to weather or any other reason, then both the teams will get one point each. If the points of two teams are equal in the points table, then their ranking will be decided on the basis of net run rate, which team will remain at which position.
IPL Points Table 2023 Facts
- In the last 15 years of IPL history, no team has been able to reach the playoff round with less than 12 points.
- Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) and Deccan Charges are the only 2 teams in IPL history to score only 4 points in a season. These are the fewest points scored by any team in a season.
- Kolkata Knight Riders and Deccan Chargers are the only 2 teams in the history of IPL to have ever finished the league season on top of the points table.
- Delhi Capitals (Delhi Daredevils) is the only team in IPL history which could not win the title despite having at the top of the points table 3 times.
- In IPL 2020, 2 groups of 3 teams (Sunrisers Hyderabad, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Kolkata Knight Riders) had 14-14 points and Punjab Kings, Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals had 12-12 points.
- In the year 2010, 4 teams Chennai Super Kings, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) and Kolkata Knight Riders all had 14-14 points in their account.
- Mumbai Indians have the highest net run rate in the league, it had a net run rate of +1.107 in the year 2020.
- Kings XI Punjab (now Punjab Kings) have had the worst net run rate in IPL history. In the year 2015, it’s net run rate was -1.436.
|Official Website||Click Here|