Covid BF.7 Variant Symptoms and Precautions: There is a havoc in China due to the Corona virus as hundreds of people are dying everyday. Hospitals are over crowded every day. Covid is wreaking havoc in China since the restrictions were relaxed in December. Omicron’s sub-variant bf.7 is now the reason for increasing cases in this country. The infectivity rate in this variant is quite high as the R value of the BF.7 variant is 18.
That is, a person infected with this variant can spread the virus to 18 people. This is the reason why Covid is spreading so fast in China. Here in this article we will update you about Covid BF.7 Variant, New Variant Symptoms & Precautions so read this carefully.
Covid BF.7 Variant Explained
Since the beginning of November, cases of corona virus are increasing worldwide. The matter is under control in India now, but China is struggling very badly with it. According to some estimates, due to the recent increase, China is at risk of death of about two million people. An epidemiologist has even tweeted that 60% of China’s population could be infected in the next few months.
Corona outbreak in China is causing concern for many countries, but there is no serious threat in India. There were restrictions related to Covid in China till a few months ago. Due to poor medical policy, the situation in China is getting worse. Omicron’s bf.7 variant is also making a serious impact there. While this variant had arrived in India several months back but it had no effect here.
How does the new variant get the name BF.7?
BF.7 is actually short form. Full name is: BA.22.214.171.124. This is a sub-variant of Omicron’s BA.5 variant. Omicron’s BA.5 variant has the highest number of reported cases worldwide. About 76.2% of the total cases. However, the BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variants did not spread much in India. We have the highest number of BA.2.75 cases.
The corona virus is mutating and mutations can create many variants and sub-variants. This process is called convergent evolution. These sub-variants have been given names like BA.2.75.2, BF.7 and BQ.1.1. These names are determined by the fact that which sub-variant is derived from which variant.
How dangerous is the sub-variant Omicron?
The reports that are coming in China indicate that BF.7 is more dangerous than the rest of the Omicron sub-variants. It has the highest transmissibility as it spreads rapidly. A person infected with BF.7 can infect many people.
The remaining variants of Omicron can infect an average of 4 people and the incubation period of the variant is also less. The incubation period is the time between exposure to the virus and the appearance of the first symptoms. Meaning, as soon as you come in contact with BF.7, you can catch it immediately.
Has BF.7 arrived in India as well?
The BA.1 and BA.2 sub-variants of Omicron were found in the wave earlier this year. Later on BA.4 and BA.5 also came. However, both of them caused more devastation in European countries. Similarly, very few cases of BF.7 were observed in India. One case of this variant was reported in India in July, two in September and one in November and this variant has been found in Gujarat and Odisha in India.
New Variant BF.7- Symptoms
The symptoms of this variant are similar to those of the other subvariants of Omicron. An infected person may show symptoms of fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhoea. This sub-variant can cause severe disease in people with weakened immune systems. If someone is having body pain for a long time, then he should get the Covid test done. Apart from this, sore throat, fatigue, phlegm and runny nose can also be symptoms.
Omicron BF.7: Precautions
- Physical distance: Corona is caused by coming in contact with an infected person, so it is very important to maintain physical distance from people to avoid it. According to the CDC of America, to avoid infection, keep a distance of at least 6 feet from people in public places. By keeping distance, you can avoid getting droplets from someone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Wear a Mask: Do wear a mask when you go out of the house. With this you will avoid drops of infection. Apart from corona virus, the mask also protects against other infections like flu, cold and cough. Throw away the mask after wearing it once. Also use a good quality mask.
- Get a booster dose: If you haven’t got the booster dose of Covid yet, get it done immediately. There is no cure for Corona infection, so at this time only the vaccine can save us from its severe symptoms to a great extent.
- Avoid going crowded places: To avoid corona infection, you also have to avoid going out and spend maximum time indoors.
- Take care of cleanliness: You can also get infected by corona by touching an infected surface or person, so wash your hands to avoid infection. First apply soap on your hands and rub them for few seconds and then wash them with water.
- Use a sanitizer: When you go outside use a sanitizer, if soap and water are not available then use a sanitizer.